Track North Bobcat Program
The "Bobcats" is our program for elementary school-aged athletes. It's designed to teach runners the basics of track and field training – specifically the running and jumping events. Sprinting, middle distance running, relays and jumping are practiced with an emphasis on fun, skill development and personal improvement. Participants are divided into abilities/age groups and focus on exercises, drills, games and workouts that match their current abilities. All Bobcat athletes can choose to participate in the District H Legion meet in June.
The training activities we employ are age-appropriate, fun-focused, and align with Athletics Canada' Long Term Development Model (LTAD). We hope that runners will leave the Bobcat program with an improved fitness level, good running mechanics, and the desire to continue in the sport. Advanced Grade 7's and 8's may be invited to continue summer training with the senior Track North group and are welcome to become Track North members throughout their high school years and beyond.
Registration 2023 (Laurentian University Track - Main Stadium)
- On-line registration
- In-Person Registration: Thursday, April 27th (5:30 PM - 7:00 PM)
- If you cannot make the Registration Day - please contact Angela Mozzon via email (see contact information at bottom of page once program is confirmed).
Program Duration, Practice Times & Practice Location (2022) (Pending)
- The program runs for eight weeks from Tuesday May 2 to Thursday June 22.
- Practices are on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 5:45 PM to 7:00 PM
- Program will take place at the Laurentian University Community Track
- Practices run rain or shine! Be prepared for all weather!
- Grades 3-8 (Ages 8 to 13)
- Cost of the eight-week Bobcat program is $200 per athlete.
- For families with 3 or more siblings participating, the maximum fee is $500.
- A typical practice begins with a short warmup run, followed by an active warmup routine and drills to practice proper running form and mechanics.
- These drills are followed by instruction in one or two events.
- The final 10-15 minutes of each session is spent playing a running-related game, such as ultimate Frisbee, soccer, obstacle course relay.
- A short stretching session completes each session. Sessions last approximately 75 minutes.
Note About Parking: Please use P13 (by Pool and Ben Avery Building) to park for both Bobcat Registration and for drop off/pick up for each practice. Please note that university parking fees may be enforced during practice time ($2 per hour). The small lot behind the track only holds 14 vehicles and is usually full by the time Bobcat practice starts. Parking anywhere along the stadium road will garner you a parking ticket by university security. Thanks for understanding!